Scottish Hill Racing News

Monday 6 June 2011

Loch Lochy hill race



Race details

Loch Lochy is a first for me and with Jura still in my legs from the previous weekend I was a little unsure how I would fare. As far as most fell races go for me, Loch Lochy is quite close being only 2hrs or so North of me. I'm glad I made the effort to go along as it was a good day out.

The race start is about a 10 min walk away beside some waterfalls and the estate grounds are very scenic with a nice river flowing down to a weir which was handy for a dip after the race to clean up and relieve tired legs. I decided to recce the route at the start as there are a few twists and turns on the way back that differ from the way out. I needn't have bothered as the route was well marked.


The race had 40 or so runners some of whom had done it before and a few who hadn't. On the word go I settled in behind the race leaders, a group of six consisting of the usual suspects, and we climbed gently up through the forestry commission track towards the glen. The leaders were chatting amongst themselves while I struggled to breathe. The pace picked up and I soon lost sight of them as the track has lots of bends and small hills. Eventually the track  leaves the forest and hits on a path of sorts through bog and grass towards a ruin and the first CP before climbing Sron a Choire Ghairbh. Jonny Muir caught me here and we chatted briefly which helped take my mind of the relentless bogs and tired legs(from Jura). The first climb has a cruel trick up its sleeve for anyone not aware of the false summit half way. Eilidh Raistrick caught and passed me on this climb and I dug deep to stay on her heels, glancing back I could see Kate Jenkins fast approaching also.

Once at the summit it is a steep drop down to a bealach and another steep pull up to the third CP. I was caught by Cameron Burt here and as we chatted he mentioned that there was another Westie(Niall M.) up ahead who was not so quick on the descent and we could possibly catch him. Looking ahead I could see that Eilidh had opened a gap, probably as she could see Kate closing fast. Popping some Haribos I put a spurt on and closed the gap to Eilidh by the CP. One more climb to go but the legs were feeling tired now so I had to focus on keeping the pace going. I seemed to have opened a gap on Cameron now and could no longer see Kate behind. The third summit came and went and ahead of me was a nice gently sloping contour around the back of Meall Odhar and back towards the glen and the fifth and last CP. I can descend well especially if it is rough under foot, which it was. I managed to pass four or five folk here, including Niall M. of Westies putting me in 7th place. Now the problem is that the run back along the glen is all forestry commission and very runnable and of course not to forget about the 1K of tarmac to the finish. I held a fairly quick pace here but didn't want to push too hard and blow up. I could hear the splashing of feet in a burn behind me and knew someone was fast approaching. Soon enough Niall was alongside me and then past, I picked the pace up to keep the gap between us to a minimum. Soon we were off the track and dropping down through trees to the road. I managed to pass Niall again on this section but knew it was futile as he would easily pass me on the road and sure enough Niall finished in 7th place and 3rd senior and was given two bottles of beer for his efforts. Well done Niall, a good run for his first A Long!


The post race refreshments were excellent and the race organisers sure knew how to make you feel welcome, with plenty of tea, coffee, cakes and sarnies and even a keg of ale. I went home satisfied with my efforts especially with Jura still in my legs. I'm not planning anything this weekend and will prepare for Glen Rosa which is another I've not run before. I'm enjoying the Longs this year and am finding my recovery is good. Last year I seemed to take a couple of weeks to get any strength back in my legs after a big effort. My fitness levels must have improved. If the Hill racing percentage of winning time is anything to go by then I can see a definite improvement. Hopefully it will continue to get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment