Scottish Hill Racing News

Thursday 26 May 2011

Dunren Open Graded - Linwood

Garmin record

In order to prepare for a Naval athletics champs that I have been talked into doing I entered a 5000m track event over at Linwood. I have never run on the track and so didn't really know what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised at how uncomplicated the whole thing turned out to be. 

The 5K was the first event of the night and was combined with the 3K. However the race numbers weren't distinguishable from one another so there was no way to tell who was running which event. The gun went and I slotted into 3rd place and immediately found the pace very quick. I am not used to this kind of pace and have only really experienced it at cross-country. A few laps went by and I was trying to keep count of the remaining laps to go. As I passed the finish line the marshals were shouting out the laps to go however this was for the 3K runners and I found myself wishing that I had opted for the 3K instead.

Looking at my Garmin and trying to keep the pace around 5:30 min/miles I kept slowing on one side which led up to the finish line and seemed to be able to pick the pace up going down the far side as is reflected on the garmin. I think it must have been the wind. As we approached the last couple of laps for the 3K I could feel them speed up and a few came past me on there way to the finish. With still another 5 or so laps to go I had to really dig in to try and hold the pace below 6:00 min/miles. I would look at the garmin and see 6 something and think COME ON! Of course all this is taking place on a track with spectators giving encouragement and marshals shouting lap times it is quite intimidating, as there is no where you can't be seen. It turned out that only 2 other runners were doing the 5K and I found myself in 3rd place and last! I finished the race in 18:16 slightly disappointed with that. I had hoped to be under 18.

Sarah and Holly had come along too with Sarah doing the 3K and Holly in for the U11 100m and 1500m. Having not done the 1500m before she was quite nervous but I think the whole experience was good for her. All in all a good night was had on a cold and rainy night. I might do more of this type of thing to try and improve my pace.

Vibram Five Fingers - Bikila
I have been running in Vibram Five Fingers for a while now, mainly using them on the forest trails. I decided that the track would be excellent for them so wore them tonight. I am not completely used to running in them yet and when pushing the pace I can feel my calves on fire. A good stretch afterwards helps. My feet feel stronger and after hill races now I don't get quad pain like I used to. I think this must be connected with running on the mid foot compared with heel striking. I also think I have quickened up and put that down to the new running style. I must admit it felt great to run on the track with the  slightly spongy feel to it, quite liberating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment